Meet Wolfram Alpha: Your New Best Math Friend
Interested in having this shared as a presentation or workshop for your organization? This is available as a 3 hour workshop, 1 hour interactive videoconference, conference breakout session. Learn more, view upcoming schedules, and find download links on www.wesfryer.com/speaking and learn.playingwithmedia.com.
Session Description: According to Theodore Gray, co-founder of Wolfram Alpha, "Google has fundamentally changed our relationship with information access. Wolfram Alpha fundamentally changes our relationship with computation." Just as parents, teachers and professors argued about whether students should be allowed to use sliderules and calculators, some will oppose the use of Wolfram Alpha. Even more than the abacus, sliderule or calculator, however, Wolfram Alpha offers opportunities to not only accelerate the speed with which people can solve mathematical problems but also TRANSFORM the way we view and use computational tools. Anyone (teacher / student / parent / principal) teaching or learning mathematics at intermediate, secondary or college levels should know about Wolfram Alpha and its capabilities. In this session we'll explore the basics of Wolfram Alpha as well as resources for learning more.
More videos on the Wolfram Demonstrations Project YouTube Channel
- Wolfram Alpha
- Wolfram Alpha Mobile Apps (a HUGE list)
- The Wolfram Demonstrations Project (great videos in specific content areas)
- Make Meaning with Wolfram Alpha by Jane Krauss (2012 K-12 Online Conference Preso)
- Using the Daum Equation Editor to Format Math Equations for Wolfram Alpha (post and screencast)
- Teaching in an Age of Plenty by Wolfram-Alpha Co-Founder Theodore Gray (session notes – archived session video also available)