Apps and Clouds: An Introduction to Internet Resources
Workshop description: Technology is changing fast and it’s easy to feel left behind! This session will provide an overview of some of the technology terms and concepts which are buzzwords in 2012. What do people mean when they talk about “cloud computing” or “saving it in the cloud?” What are the differences between apps for a smartphone or mobile device, and a laptop or desktop computer? How are eReaders like a Kindle or Nook different from a tablet computer like an iPad? This session will include lots of time for questions and answers. If you’re feeling unsure about where to start with professional development on technology topics, this will be a great session for you. Bring your questions, we’ll share the best answers we have and discuss them together.
A free audio recording / podcast of this 88 minute PD session from 23 April 2012 is available on "Fuel for Educational Change Agents."
These materials by Wesley A. Fryer are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Contact details for Wesley are available.
Referenced Links, Resources & Videos
- "Playing with Media: simple ideas for powerful sharing" eBook
- Waldseemüller map (WikiPedia)
- "Fourth Part of the World" by by Toby Lester
- Fodey.com fake newspaper headline/clipping generator
- "Yukon student becomes eBook author" (NewsOK, 23 Apr 2012)
- Online Stopwatch (full screen)
- Instagram photo example: "Put Your Weapons on the Table!"
- Kevin Honeycutt
- Online Backup Options: Carbonite, Mozy, Crash Plan
- Send To DropBox (free)
- Recommended iPad Productivity Apps from iPadwithWes.com
- Nook display in Oklahoma City Barnes & Noble (pic)
- "Student candidate allegedly hacks his own election results" (21 Apr 2012)
- Cloud App Bingo (Google Doc)
- Apple unveils iBooks Author, a Mac app for easy interactive e-book authoring (19 Jan 2012)
- Could tablets outsell PCs by next year? (Hint: yes) (2 Mar 2012)
- Texas district embarks on widespread iPad program (27 Feb 2012)
- Will Apple lawsuit mean cheaper e-books? (11 Apr 2012)
- The Apple ebook price-fixing lawsuit has terrifying implications (13 Apr 2012)
- An e-book unhappy ending (21 Apr 2012)
- NMC Horizon Report > 2012 Higher Ed Edition
- Evernote (recommended cloud-based service)
- DropBox (recommended cloud-based service)
- Pano App for iPhone
- Video: A Heartwarming Google Search Story of Education at Its Best in Maine (29 March 2012)
- Video: NMC Horizon Report: 2012 Higher Education Edition (13 Feb 2012)