Tell a Story in 5 Photos
Description: Visual literacy and visual communication skills can be developed effectively through image-based communication. In this session we will discuss examples of five photo stories, explore copyright-friendly websites for finding images to use in five photo stories, and learn how to create and share five photo stories with a variety of web-based tools.
Inspiration for this from Curby Alexander: "Five-Picture Charades: A Flexible Model for Technology Training in Digital Media Tools and Teaching Strategies"
See resources in "Mapping Media to the Curriculum:" 5 Photo Stories
An audio recording of this presentation for teachers in Kansas City Kansas Public Schools on May 29, 2012, is available on "Fuel for Educational Change Agents."
5 Photo Story Sites / Examples
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators (Flickr group)
- Getting a New Haircut (5 photo story)
- Getting a New Haircut (VoiceThread - YouTube screencast excerpt)
- 5 Photo Stories blogs: On Posthaven and on Blogger
- PD Sandbox (Wes' Posterous blog)
- 5 Card Flickr from Alan Levine
Visual Image Power
- Power of Visual Images (Wes' fav Flickr photos)
- Presentation Zen (Star Wars example)
- Life After Death By PowerPoint (4 min, 24 sec)
- Pecha Kucha Presentations
- Email simplicity is the key!
- Set Up a Moderated Class Blog on Posterous (screencast tutorial)
Copyright Advice for learners using media (images / audio / video)
Copyright? What's Copyright?
Get Creative! (Creative Commons)
What is Fair Use? (see Chapter 4, starting at 6:00)
Copyright Friendly Image Sources
- Flickr Creative Commons
- Compfight - 1 page PDF handout available
- More: Images and Audio
- Google Images Advanced Search does permit filtering by license