Tell a Story in 5 Photos
Interested in having this shared as a presentation or workshop for your organization? This is available as a 3 hour workshop, 1 hour interactive videoconference, and downloadable podcast. Learn more, view upcoming schedules, and find download links on learn.playingwithmedia.com.
Description: Visual literacy and visual communication skills can be developed effectively through image-based communication. In this session we will discuss examples of five photo stories, explore copyright-friendly websites for finding images to use in five photo stories, and learn how to create and share five photo stories with a variety of web-based tools.
Inspiration for this from Curby Alexander: "Five-Picture Charades: A Flexible Model for Technology Training in Digital Media Tools and Teaching Strategies"
See resources in "Mapping Media to the Curriculum:" 5 Photo Stories
An audio recording of this presentation for teachers in Kansas City Kansas Public Schools on May 29, 2012, is available on "Fuel for Educational Change Agents."
5 Photo Story Sites / Examples
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators (Flickr group)
- Getting a New Haircut (5 photo story)
- Getting a New Haircut (VoiceThread - YouTube screencast excerpt)
- 5 Photo Stories blogs: On Posthaven and on Blogger
- PD Sandbox (Wes' Posterous blog)
- 5 Card Flickr from Alan Levine
Visual Image Power
- Power of Visual Images (Wes' fav Flickr photos)
- Presentation Zen (Star Wars example)
- Life After Death By PowerPoint (4 min, 24 sec)
- Pecha Kucha Presentations
- Email simplicity is the key!
- Set Up a Moderated Class Blog on Posterous (screencast tutorial)
Copyright Advice for learners using media (images / audio / video)
These materials by Wesley A. Fryer are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Contact details for Wesley are available.
- H: Homegrown
- P: Public Domain
- C: Creative Commons licensed media
- F: Fair Use
Chapter on Copyright from "Playing with Media" available FREE online!
The Cost of Copyright Confusion
Copyright? What's Copyright?
Get Creative! (Creative Commons)
What is Fair Use? (see Chapter 4, starting at 6:00)
Original - Trimmed version available
Copyright Friendly Image Sources
- Flickr Creative Commons
- Compfight - 1 page PDF handout available
- More: Images and Audio
- Google Images Advanced Search does permit filtering by license
More Copyright / Fair Use / Creative Commons / Intellectual Property resources from Storychasers.